The Church of Saint Catherine (Italian: Chiesa di Santa Caterina or simply Santa Caterina) is an important church of Palermo located in the heart of the historic centre, between Piazza Bellini and Piazza Pretoria, in the same area of other well-known architectural landmarks like the churches of Martorana and San Cataldo(both of them are World Heritage Sites), the Fontana Pretoria and the Palazzo Pretorio, headquarters of the Palermo municipality.
The church is a synthesis of Sicilian Baroque, Rococo and Renaissance styles.
In 1310 the last will of the rich Benvenuta Mastrangelo determined the foundation of a female monastery under the direction of the Dominican Order. The new monastery was dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria.
Between 1566 and 1596 the church was rebuilt.
During the 19th century the church was damaged on several occasions: during the uprising of 1820-1821, the Sicilian revolution of 1848, the Gancia revolt, the insurrection of Palermo (1860) and the Sette e mezzo revolt (1866).